Consolidated Yachts NY Inc is located on the site of one of New Yorks oldest, continuously running shipyards. It was the first shipyard on City Island to have a ‘Marine Railway’ to launch Yachts into the water. It has been used continuously since the 1850s. The location has been run by the Rodstrom Family since 1959. The family has a long history in the yacht business and particularly City Island. City Island Yachts current location was originally Rodstrom Shipbuilding. Charles Rodstrom was a well respected Captain, with connections to the yard dating back to around 1900.

This page was made possible through the kind help of City Island Nautical Museum.

A full history of ships built or rebuilt at the yard can be found at the following link

1850’s: G.W. Horton Jr. who was the superintendent of the laying of a marine rail on the east shore of Pilot Avenue for the purpose of hauling and launching vessels for a Mr. Underhill of New Rochelle. A few years later a Mr. Samuel Hart and a Mr. Ketcham operated the railway where they did a small business in boat repairs and overhaul.

1863: While his Northport Yard was quite successful, growing differences between brothers David and Jesse Carll led to David’s looking for work elsewhere. David Carll bought the property at East Pilot Avenue from G.W. Horton Jr. and officially established his shipyard. A year later he bought adjoining property from a Mr. Richard Peary and expanded the yards facilities. By 1865 the partnership between the Carll brothers in their Northport yard was dissolved with Jesse and later his son operating the yard until about 1910.

1866: David Carll builds the 106 ton C.B Schooner yacht Vesta for Pierre Lorriland Jr.. Vesta completed in the Great Ocean Race of 1866 with the Full Keel Schooners Fleetwing, and Henrietta. Vesta lost the race but the event inaugurated an interest in offshore racing that has lasted to this day.

1867: The old U.S battleship U.S.S North Carolina is bought as salvage by David Carll beached at his yard and salvaged for good timber and hardware used in the future building including that of the first bridge connecting City Island to the mainland.

1869: The Sloop Madge built in Philadelphia in 1857 is completely rebuilt by David Carll being lengthened, with increased beam, draft, and converted to a centerboard schooner. Renamed “Magic” the yacht goes on to become the first defender of the America’s Cup beating the challenger Cambria of England and a fleet of the New York Yacht Club’s finest.



1877: William Backhouse Astor, a regular customer of David Carll’s contracts him to build the largest and most luxurious schooner yacht yet. The result is the 146’ Ambassadress, and she was just that, a distinction held until being sold into the West Indies trade at the turn of the century.

1886: August 6th of that year, Henry Piepgras a shipbuilder and Naval Architect who owned and operated a yard at Pottery Beach in Brooklyn, buys the David Carll Shipyard and relocates there. At City Island he introduces construction in steel and iron to compliment building in wood. David Carll retires from Shipbuilding to devote time between his home at City Island and successful Orange plantation in Daytona, Florida.

1889: Henry Piepgras builds the Steel Schooner Yacht Constellation designed by Edward Burgess. At 136’ the largest steel schooner yacht yet built in the country. The yard is busy with upwards of 150 employees.

1892: In the fall of this year the Piepgras yard is suddenly closed down as a result of dormant underwater property claims, which David Carll never even knew about. After six months of costly litigation, an agreement was reached and the title bought, allowing the yard to reopen the following Spring of 1893.

1899: In May of this yeard 65 year old Henry Piepgras sells his yard to a syndicate led by Robert Jacob, a businessman and yachtsman, who learned the trade from Piepgras himself. Robert Jacob immediately expands the yards operations with new railways laid, construction sheds built, and a sail loft to be occupied by Ratsey & Lapthorn Sailmakers.

World War I : The Jacob Yard was geared for war time production building Harbor Tugs and Subchasers as well as yacht conversions for Patrol Boats during WWI.

1920: On the night of February 24th during a snowstorm a fire broke out at the Jacob yard that spread throughout the yard destroying the Paint shop, Joiner Shop and several large yachts. Saved from the fire was the America’s Cup challenger “Shamrock IV”, however her mast was lost. A special dispensation allowed for new spars to be built by Jacob. All plans and materials for the new Nourmahal building at that time were also lost to the fire.

1926: The large building and storage shed is torn down and replaced by a larger shed to accommodate superstructures of future large yachts to be built. This building was originally a movie studio from Mamaroneck where part of D.W. Griffiths “Birth Of A Nation” was filmed years earlier. The building was dismantled, raised, and transported to City Island by barge we Jacob Yard.

1931: In October of this year Robert Jacob Sr. dies of a heart attack, one month later old time friend Sir Thomas Lipton also dies. Robert Jacob Jr. takes over the Jacob yard and continues in the fashion of his father.

1939: At 106’ the John H. Wells designed Trouper is built by Robert Jacob. It is the largest yacht built in America that year.

1940: One year after the launching of Trouper, another Wells designed yacht the Haida was launched. At 127’ this was the last yacht over 100’ built at City Island. Soon after both Trouper and Haida were transferred to the U.S. Navy as Patrol Yachts.

World War II: The Jacob Yard gears up again for war time production  building 136’ YMS Minesweepers, 136’ PCS Subchasers, Harbor Tugs, 70’ Vosper style PT Boats as well as much conversion work for yachts to Patrol Boats.

1946: Seeing the last of government contracts and the trend towards smaller yachts with less maintenance the Robert Jacob Yard is sold to Consolidated Shipbuilding. Consolidated established in the 1890’s had operated for many years out of Morris Heights area on the East River and were famous for building mostly power yachts up to and over 200’. Over a two year period, they would relocate to City Island. Consolidated Shipbuilding continued building yachts mostly in the 36’ to 60’ range with several models available.

1951: A fire started in next door yard “City Island Yacht Basin” spreads to Consolidated burning plans, templates, and materials to be used for AMS Minesweepers recently contracted to build by the U.S. Government. Many yachts and buildings are destroyed.

1951 – 1954: The Consolidated Yard builds six AMS Minesweepers at 144’ each to be used for NATO operations.

1954: Robert Jacob Jr. at age 64 dies from a heart attack while on a cruise to Hawaii.

1957: At 144’ the Minehunter USS Bittern is launched at Consolidated, their last vessel launched and the last vessel over 100’ built at City Island. Consolidated Shipbuilding shortly thereafter goes out of business.

1959: The Consolidated Yard is bought by a syndicate headed up by Wes Rodstrom Sr.. Rodstrom at the time operated a boatyard at The City Island Yacht Club at the other end of Pilot Street. At first he ran both yards eventually giving up the yacht club yard. Over a two year period, the yard changed names to the Rodstrom Shipyard and then in 1961 became Consolidated Yachts Inc.

1980: The south side of the old yard is sectioned off to be the site of a senior citizen residence. The old building shed as well as offices and other shops are torn down as groundwork begins for “Pilot Cove”

1989: After several expensive derailments, and a decreasing need, the large marine railways, so vital to the yards operation over the years is discarded. The 90’ fishing boat Riptide, recently completed here is the last launched on the ways.

2000: A new century with owner Wes Rodstrom Jr. as Wes Rodstrom Sr. after 50 years retires from the Yacht Yard business.

2002: The barque rigged snows Lisa is completely rebuilt and re-rigged to U.S Coast Guard regulations for charter use.